Thursday, May 10, 2018

Getting The Creeps!


I pretty much noticed Warrant Publishing's The Creeps right away when it hit the stands, but for whatever reason I have just this week picked up my first issue. The magazine fills a nifty space as I am still casting around for proper entertainment to complete the gap left by cancellations of all my current favorite comics. The premise of Warrant's magazine is dead simple -- imitate Warren publishing as much as possible. What we have here is a weird zombie-like imitation of Creepy and Eerie from the halcyon days of Jim Warren's maverick magazine line which gave us top-flight characters like Uncle Creepy, Cousin Eerie, Vampirella, Hunter, and The Rook among many others. Now we can add "The Old Creep". It's a weirdly charming idea.


The talent has been pretty darn good with reliable names like Roger McKenzie, Nicola Cuti, T. Casey Brennan and Don Glut as writers and Frank Frazetta, Ken Kelly, Sanjulian, and Rich Corben on covers. Inside has been handled by a bevy of talented young pros who do a grand job evoking recognizable styles. Even Groovy Friends of the Dojo have had a hand in the production of the magazine. In fact with the fourteenth issue Nick Cuti joins the editorial staff headed by Rich Sala, so it does rather feel even more like old times. So add The Creeps to the list. Now I have some back issues to chase -- sounds like fun.














Rip Off

7 comments:

  1. Glad that you liked the mag. Yes, it is an unabashed love letter to the Warren magazines of yore, and I for one am glad to be a part of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic to hear from an artist on the book. Loved the spin on Casper in the latest issue. Neatly done. Look forward to more grand discoveries as I get new issues and dig up old ones.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. Are the last dozen pages packed with ads for movie posters, 8mm films, paperbacks, model kits and the like?

    (Wishful thinking, I know...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't have all those delightful "Captain Company" pages in the back, but they do have very similar pages salted throughout the magazine. I concur, with vintage Warren, those pages were like a mini catalog to savor and dream about. I rarely is ever ordered anything, but I always thought about it. Great stuff!

      Rip Off

      Delete
  3. Agreed Rip! This looks like something “new” I can finally get behind and buy. I will seek this out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been reading this 'zine since #1 and it only keeps getting better story and art-wise with each issue. I thought it would run out of steam after a few issues, but it hasn't. An unapologetic homage to the original Warren mags, right down to the "type setting" and the anti-smoking ad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you tried it out and enjoyed The Creeps. Even more glad that you're helping spread the word. Thanks, Rip!

    ReplyDelete