Tuesday, August 15, 2017

100 Days Of The King - Day 87





Kirby's attempt at a kid gang at Marvel is the X-Men. They are of course older than the Newsboy Legion, the Young Allies, or the Boy Commandos, but they are at their essence a cadre of teenagers brought together to defend society from imminent threats. In this case they are gifted with strange and sometimes terrible superpowers. Kirby never got around to creating a pin-up for all of the X-Men (neglecting Iceman and Angel for some reason) but of the ones he did create the are delightful.

Rip Off

5 comments:

  1. So, Hank McCoy's "strange and terrible" super power is one-handed juggling (do I see a wine cork there?) and one-fingered tight-rope walking...Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Magneto should quake! When they decided to make Hank McCoy more of a literal beast it was inspired.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. I swear I've seen a Kirby Iceman pin up where he looks like a snowman. Was that Byrne aping Kirby?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the image I think. It was by Dave Cockrum based on Kirby's panels in early X-Men comics. check this link out.

      http://thedorkreview.blogspot.com/2017/02/wanted-poster-dave-cockrums-x-men.html

      Rip Off

      Delete
    2. maybe. I was thinking of something with just Iceman. But maybe I made it up.

      Delete