Friday, July 21, 2017

100 Days Of The King - Day 62


Arguably the most awesome sidekick in the whole history of comics, Big Barda landed on Earth and the in the Mister Miracle series with a decided boom. Their history remains a big vague at first, but eventually we learn that Barda, another of the disaffected denizens of Apokolips had been instrumental in helping Scott Free to escape the clutches of Granny Goodness.


But when she doffed her armor and enjoyed some Kirby calisthenics in the front yard of the Miracle estate, she certainly awoke much in the fandom who came to the comic merely to see the latest doings of the their favorite escape artist. There was no escaping her charms.


An issue or two later, Mark Evanier wrote this single page, which by his own testimony moved the plot of the story along not a single bit. He was tasked to come up with a vignette to added a needed page for production's sake and Barda's bath was the result. Let me extend my personal thanks to Mr. Evanier and to the great Jack "King" Kirby and his inking ally Mike Royer for this page. It's one for the ages.

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. I well-remember that bath-time page. It set my young pulse racing at the time. Ah, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I well-remember that bath-time page. It set my young pulse racing at the time. Ah, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read these couple of issues in recent days. She's such a great character! I had no idea how strong the Mister Miracle characters are, especially Barda, who hints in her subtle dialogue more facets to her. As I mentioned before, this is my first time reading the Fourth World epics. It's been awesome!

    ReplyDelete