Sunday, February 5, 2017

Oh My Stars And Feathers!



It struck me as a bit ironic that the Super Bowl this year features The Patriots and The Falcons. It's almost like a vintage issue of Captain America Comics when Jack "King" Kirby was at the helm and the duo of Cap and Falcon were a dynamic fighting force for truth, justice and the American way.


The Super Bowl has long ago peaked and you can feel the energy and juice draining out of it year after year as it becomes less an event and more just another somewhat hoary tradition like the Rose Bowl Parade and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, more a marker of the passage of time than a real thing on its own.

(The Alamo is in San Antonio not Houston but that's pretty close.)
At least that's how it seems from mi casa. I won't watch, I never watch, but I do want the Falcons to win since I always root for a team which has never done the thing ever or in a very long time to get over at last. A Patriots win would be of minor interest to the NFL faithful, but a win by the Falcons would be a big deal for Atlanta which has been in the sports cold for a few decades now. The Patriots are the ultimate overdog in modern sports and seeing them humbled is more gratifying than seeing them win. For the Falcons, it's just the reverse.


Wake me up when it's over.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. A fluke. I was pondering the Black Panther being yet one more Cap partner, his first black one when the Cap and Falcon duo popped into my mind right next to an adjacent thought about the Super Bowl. Genius? I didn't think so.

      Rip Off

      Delete