Sunday, May 29, 2016

Cap And The Loose Canons!


So Steve Rogers, the famous Captain America has been revealed to be a Nazi all the time. Really? I'm not convinced. Many are upset that a beloved icon has been transformed from hero to villain and we've all been made into his dupes. (That's what makes folks really mad by the way. Wait until the Trump believers catch on...sheesh.) It might make sense within the narrow confines of what passes for continuity in modern comics, but there's no way it stretches much back beyond that.


The saga of Captain America has been written and revised constantly over the decades, his story including multiple deaths, transformations, realignments, and career choices often seemed to be in flux. Even his personal history has been changed and changed back more than a few times. Steve Rogers has been revealed to be someone other than we'd imagined on several occasions. That's not news.


But a Nazi? A member of Hydra? It doesn't track of course. He's defeated Hydra too many times over the decades for anyone to imagine he's worked for them all along. If he's a double agent, he's one of the least effective in the long history of the nefarious practice.


But of course all of that doesn't matter, and since it doesn't matter, then I don't care. All the stories in which I followed Cap for years and years and years have been washed away in continuity reboots and disappeared by editorial fiat for years. It's been a long long time since I read Captain America at all not to mention with any sense that he might have some essential connection to the character I first encountered decades ago.


As an icon he works, but as a coherent character revealed over the course of hundreds of comics, not so much. So if for the moment the powers-that-be have decided that Cap is a Nazi then all right, we'll follow that twist for a little while until it ends.


If it's to allow the creators to make comment on modern politics, then that seems curious enough and I'll be intrigued to see how they extricate themselves from this little knot. But they're creators and can do what they want anyway.


These days all canons are loose, subject to change on the whims of whatever the editors and or writers want to do that week. I don't waste my time worrying about what they deem worthy since they don't waste theirs worrying about what I already know. Cap ain't really a Nazi. I know it, and so does everyone else.

Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. Rip, you've inadvertently reminded me to dig out my old copies of The Authority and re-read them someday when I can find a few hours. One of my favorite series of all time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that Cap's revelation has done some good in the world. The Authority is not a series I followed regularly, but I did get hold of the issues which featured the evil version of the Avengers. Grim.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. I haven't read anything new from Marvel in many years, and this latest stunt isn't winning me back. They haven't exactly lost a reader... although they did inspire me to plug the comics I've published in the wake of the online hysteria. ("Don't waste your energy raging over Cap... read these other comics with patriotic heroes instead." :) )

    ReplyDelete