Sunday, May 31, 2015

A Trimpe Gallery!


As I've said before, Herb Trimpe is a hero of mine. A comic book artist of high distinction who brought energy and emotion to his distinctive pages. Most closely identified with the Hulk, he was a mainstay at Marvel in the Bronze Age, the time when I was soaking up that fictional universe in all its glory. But Marvel, at least in this universe proved not to be so pleasant and Trimpe was pushed out of a business he'd given his all to for decades. He found a new path and inspired me all over again with his writings about his struggles and his work with the victims of 9-11. Herb Trimpe was a great artist, but he was a greater man.

Here are some Trimpe gems from across the decades. As you'd expect there is a heaping helping of Hulk. But as you might not expect there is a great deal more.










































Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. So many great covers. This has been a fitting tribute to Trimpe. I usually read your blog on my phone in mobile view so some days I forget to look at the cover of the day, so it was nice to catch up and see all the covers. I missed some of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a joy to put this one together. Trimpe had a lot of dandy covers and some I knew instantly had to be included, but several I found I'd forgotten about. Others I gained a new appreciation for when I started to examine them.

      Thanks for checking in as always.

      Rip Off :)

      Delete
  2. Love this comics since I was a child..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb Herb(!) collection here Rip! Thanks for putting this together! Some of his war, western, Ant Man and Son of Satan work I’d completely forgotten about. Can’t wait to see what you’ll have for Mr. Trimpe’s birthday next year!

    Best, RickM

    ReplyDelete