Saturday, September 6, 2014

The Buy List!






Above you see the actual comics I currently buy. I've been enjoying IDW and YOe Book's Classic Popeye from its inception and it remains easily the best single comic I get month in and month out. I don't know how much longer this run of Bud Sagendorf's outstanding work will continue, but I plan to pick up each and every issue until it wraps.

Astro City by the amazing team of Kurt Busiek, Brent Anderson, and Alex Ross has been a mainstay of my collecting since it started nearly twenty years ago. The highly personal glimpses we get of the sundry folks who live in and around the titular metropolis remain fresh and surprising. This work of love has resisted over-complicating its evocative but humble universe by keeping it all inside a single comic which makes staying current with goings on in Astro City quite feasible.

Miracleman from Marvel is a series I started decades ago when it launched in Warrior magazine. The story by He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named-Writer (Alan Moore) and Gary Leach blew me away. It's neat to finally get to read the rest of the story which has commanded so much fan attention over the intervening years. The awesomeness is not as utterly fab as I'd expected and Marvel insists on parting it out in tiny morsels, but it still keeps me coming back for now.

I'm also following the delightful Groo Versus Conan comic from Dark Horse from Mark Evanier and Sergio Aragones and Tom Yeates. This comic is not what I've been expecting all these years, but it's still entertaining.

And finally right now I'm getting Justice Inc. from Dynamite. The first issue was a minor letdown, mostly due to the unimpressive artwork, but I'm saving a complete review when this limited series closes.

These four along with regular doses of Alter Ego are the only "comics" I get regularly anymore. For  a guy who once upon a time got damn near everything (when that was vaguely possible) it's quite the change. But with a back room bursting with issues demanding a new home, less is certainly more these days.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment