Friday, July 4, 2014

The One And Only Cap!



In celebration of Independence Day, here's an elegant "Marvel Masterwork Pin-Up" of Captain America by his co-creator Jack "King" Kirby with inks by Sol Brodsky.

This poster appeared in the back of The Avengers #10, a momentous issue which introduced the very important Immortus. For more on this particular issue by Stan Lee, Don Heck, and Dick Ayers, check out this link.


And here's a fantastic gallery of some of my favorite Jack Kirby Cap covers!









Have a happy holiday!

Rip Off

4 comments:

  1. I love the Bicentennial one - the Bicentennial was big news in Britain too and was widely covered, I was ten years old at the time and remember it well. And Bicentennial Battles was on sale but I didn't have it which I regret - I've only discovered in recent years that it contained original stuff and not reprints. The Bicentennial must be a huge event to look back on if you were a kid at the time ! The Summer of 1976 is semi-legendary for us Brits too as it was the summer of "The Drought" when it didn't rain for three months and we had water shortages which has never happened since thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a young college kid and would be a married man in a mere handful of weeks during the Bicentennial, so I was a bit distracted to say the least. It was a big deal, but at the time money was tight all over and I'd say today it would be a stupendous deal, and have corporate product placement all over it.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. It's odd that the Shores-inked Cap 100 cover has a Sinnot-inked head on Captain America. Kirby's the best, of course, but I also really liked those Alex Schomburg claustrophobic battle covers from the Golden Age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Schmburg's covers are vivid and wild. Love 'em! There have been a lot of good Cap artists over the years. He seems to bring out the best in them.

      Rip Off

      Delete