Monday, January 6, 2014

The Sorceress Of Cyba-3!


Among the most cherished items in my collection are my Big Little Books bought for me when I was a tyro, before really I had any sense of what comics were too much. I got into heroes by way of TV cartoons, especially those delightful and evocative Hanna-Barbera cartoons. My favorite was always Space Ghost, and so it's not surprise that the BLB starring Space Ghost, Jan, Jayce, and Blip is one of those I collected up and kept hold of.

The story for "The Sorceress of Cyba-3", perhaps the longest in Space Ghost lore aside from the origin written by Joe Kelly for DC, was penned by Don R. Christensen. The artwork was rendered not by the great Alex Toth who designed the Space Ghost universe, but by Gold Key journeyman Don Spiegle who delivered handsome and sleek artwork very much in the spirit of Toth. Spiegle was the artist who drew the lone Space Ghost comic for Gold Key and handled the character in other Gold Key venues.

As can be seen in the wonderful original artwork below, Spiegle was at the top of this game designing this Space Ghost adventure. These are not all of the pages by any means, but as many as I found roaming the wilds of the internet. Some are just gorgeous! Especially keen are those few which show Space Ghost in his invisible mode, and how Spiegle's art is different to reflect that. The art is in story order.




















Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. "Spiegle was at the top of this game designing this Space Ghost adventure." Truer words may never have been spoken. These are outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beauty of originals is that you can see the hand of real craftsmanship. Sadly in these computer age days that is all but lost.

      Rip Off

      Delete