Saturday, November 23, 2013

Loki And The Dark Heart!


Above is the striking cover for Escape from Loki, the single full novel starring Doc Savage and his Fab Five written by the late great Doc super-fan Philip Jose Farmer. I have never read this novel. I have never seen this novel for sale in the world of flesh and blood. I want to read this novel, but beyond getting one from an online dealer  (certainly a real possibility) I've been holding off on that in hopes that a new version might hit the stands sooner than later. But I've heard nothing of that.


I did however buy and read and enjoy The Dark Heart of Time by Farmer, his one official addition to the Tarzan of the Apes canon. It's clear that no single hero dominated Farmer's imagination more than Lord Greystoke, a figure he transformed into a time-traveling immortal and who shows up disguised in assorted Farmer works. But it's been years since I read this tome, and getting to my copy might be a bit of chore, a chore I'd undertake, but again I hope that a new version might soon hit the market. So far nothing.

Given the interest in Farmer's work since his death, and the last few years of vivid Wold Newton material which has reached the marketplace thanks to Titan Books and others, I'd hope this material would find a new purchase in the bookstores.

Wouldn't it be snazzy if they offered it up in a version similar to the vintage ACE Doubles which once upon a time delivered one of Farmer's unofficial renditions of both these classic characters. That's not going to happen, but it would be exceedingly cool.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Gonna watch the Doctor Who Anniversary special?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to it, though I will have to confess, I'm getting a little weary of the Doctor at the moment. The hype has been furious. I'm eager to meet the new guy.

      Rip Off

      Delete