Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Magnus Fights Again!


Here's a neat thing that's coming our way this fall, the second trade paper reprinting of Russ Manning's Magnus Robot Fighter. These 60's gems from Gold Key showcase Manning's sleek artwork to best effect. The covers were painted by George Wilson and Vic Prezio, but often over designs by Manning himself as shown when the art itself was used in later reprints. Magnus is conceptually a future-Tarzan, the character Manning is most famously connected to. And it was his role as primary artist on the Tarzan book which took him off Magnus sooner than many fans would've wanted. There should be one more of these, and I'd love Dark Horse to get it out sooner than later.

Here are the covers of the issues included in this volume. And here's a link to the official Dark Horse solicitation.








Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Very cool. I don't really remember these comics, although I am old enough to (barely!! lol). I was thinking about picking up Vol. 1 of this title as well as the Doctor Solar book. Now, I got a good start to my Christmas list. Looking forward to reading these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No word on a second Solar volume. I'd love to see it. I could get the archives I know, but I love to read comic books in this trade format.

      I'm just a bit too young for Magnus too, but I did pick up a few of the reprints off the stands.

      Rip Off

      Delete