Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Weird Demon Doppleganger!


Here's one of those significant issues for yours truly. The cover above by the great Berni Wrightson lured me in and I snatched up this 1971 opus full of all manner of occult epics. It was the beginning of the end of my brief Marvel Zombiehood as I began to sample more fully the varied fruits at DC. This grim image of a dour demon has roamed my imagination since. '


But I did not know the art was re-purposed a several years later on this 1975 issue of House of Mystery. The grim demon can be seen in the background here fronted by new artwork by Nestor Redondo, no slouch himself.


It still gives me a chill.


Rip Off

8 comments:

  1. One of Bernie's finest works from that period. When I first started collecting Wrightson in the mid-1980's, that thing was hard to find, I don't remember where I ended up getting my copy. It was probably at some astronomical price like $5.00. I forgot about that cover for HOM #229. Great post, thanks Rip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only spotted it the other day by accident. I used to have a copy, but who knows where that is now.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  2. It's not the Demon himself that gives me a chill, it's that he's standing over a dead lady. Who was used in a summoning spell from the looks of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can look at this a few moments before you notice the body. It's not the focus, but as you say it's chilling.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  3. There's actually a story that goes with that cover. It's a good'un!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten. I'd love to see it again.

      Hint. Hint.

      Rip Off

      Delete
  4. A seminal issue for me as well and the first time I really paid much attention to Wrightson after not having cared for his work in NIGHTMASTER at the time.

    ReplyDelete