Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Monkey Planet 3-D!


I found this funky and fun version of Pierre Boulle's satirical romp at Half-Price Books the other day. Just looking at that ape's cigar-smoking mug tickled me enough to give this one another read. Smoking apes could become a theme here at the Dojo.

It's been a lot of years since I read Planet of the Apes the first time, and frankly after all the years and countless renditions of this core idea on the big screen, it will be interesting to return to the original wit and turns of the classic story originally dubbed "Monkey Planet". I didn't know that Boulle had written a sequel of sorts, a follow up to the filmed version titled Planet of Men. Hmm.

And the cover really rocks in 3-D too. The glasses make a handy bookmark as well. If you have some glasses around check out the scanned cover above.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. dude, I am jealous, that cover rules. been many many years since I read the book, but I remember that I wasn't a fan. loved the films, still do. I still want that cover, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some more of these from Vintage Books from a few years ago. They did some Verne novels, and a Lovecraft volume I'd like to find. These were all they had at the store I visited.

      Rip Off

      Delete