Friday, January 6, 2012

Gatewood Galbraith RIP


Gatewood Galbraith has died. As a lifelong Kentuckian, Gatewood (everyone refers to him as Gatewood) has been part of the political landscape as long as I have been paying attention. His most famous message was his outspoken attempts to legalize pot and make hemp a cash crop in Kentucky, to replace the losses of the tobacco farmers.

He was a true iconoclast, and intellectually honest true believer who was also charming, self-deprecating, and candid. He was fun to watch and to listen to. He demonstrated by his very existence, that you could think your own thoughts and speak your own mind. It wasn't a choice between two parties, it was your choice.

I might even have voted for him once in his many attempts to be governor of the state. Lord knows I've voted for far worse. In recent days some pundit said that folks vote for the person, not the ideas, and that was true for me and Gatewood. I didn't really give two hoots about legalization (fine if it happens, but whatever), but he was such an engaging and refreshing voice, that I wanted to vote for him. I still do. He is already missed.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts on this man exactly! One of those people I appreciated for his openness even when I didn't agree with him. R.I.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Politics is getting more rotten by the day, and sadly candid and upbeat voices like Gatewood's are even more sorely missed.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete