Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Dell Universals!






For whatever reason, Dell Comics brought out a gaggle of comics in the 60's which featured the classic Universal monsters. Many of these monsters had been revived by Hammer some years before, but these covers suggest it's clearly the Universal renditions that inspired the comics. Vic Prezio is identified as the artist on many of these covers and perhaps he did all of them.

In three cases (Frankenstein, Dracula, and Wolfman) brief superhero/adventure series were spun off the names.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Hey Rip,
    These covers are really incredible. Great stuff...and I don't remember seeing them as a kid. How did I miss this stuff.
    Thanks so much for putting me on your blog list. I appreciate the interest.
    Best,
    Mike Vosburg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, these are especially great scans of these vintage comics. I have a ragged copy of the Frankenstein one, and the interiors don't match up the great cover (a Dell problem for sure) but it is a fun comic anyway.

    The Creature is the cover that I find most magnetic, but they are all superior looking for sure.

    Thanks for stopping by Mike. Your comics are always a treat, and I adore Lori Lovecraft! Yum!

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete