Sunday, October 17, 2010

Shadow Realm!

Buscema, Ledger & Nebres








One of the great artistic accomplishments of Big John Buscema's career was Warriors of the Shadow Realm a Tolkeinesque fantasy written by Doug Moench (co-creator of Weirdworld with Mike Ploog) and produced with then state-of-the-art techniques offering Buscema's images under the brush of Rudy Nebres and the colors of the Peter Ledger in lush and vibrant ground-breaking color. The plates above from the Pacific portfolio that developed from the Marvel project show the glory of that work.

Here's more work from that project.











Rudy Nebres


Rip Off

3 comments:

  1. This was a real winner with me at the time. I read these until they literally fell apart. I keep hoping Marvel will print them as a big collection one day. One of the few things they've done that deserve it IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always liked Elfquest and Wally Wood's fantasy comics, this looks like something I'd enjoy. What year were these out? I'm guessing it's the seventies, the pics have that Heavy Metal vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the original Lord Tyndall's Quest story, by Moench and Ploog, with inking duties supplied by the untouchable genious of Alex Nino ( now, THERE'S a combination you can't beat! ), is still the best of all the great Marvel Premiere/Spotlight offerings, I think. I remember being really disappointed when they announced that the sequels were going to be drawn by Big John - not that I wasn't a fan of Big John, I just wanted more of that dead groovy Ploog/Nino goodness - and then being absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the result! definately, a high point of Big John's career. thanks for the beautiful scans.

    if you're at all interested, you can find the Ploog/Nino jobbie right here. . .

    http://grantbridgestreet.blogspot.com/2008/09/doug-moench-mike-ploog-and-alex-nino.html

    ReplyDelete