Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Halloween Movie Treats!

I'm kicking off my Halloween offerings with some tasty film recommendations. I love the classic Universal monsters, and for the most part savor the adaptations and variations in film that have lumbered my way since. But as much as the classics appeal, I relish a fresh take on an idea. Here are four variations on classic monsters, all of relatively recent vintage. All would be considered "cult films" I guess, though I think each is better crafted than that identification usually suggests.


First is a spin on the mummy story. Bubba Ho-Tep starring Bruce Campbell and based on a Joe Lansdale short story is a movie I've reviewed before here. But suffice it to say any flick that pits Elvis and a black JFK against a forgotten Egyptian mummy in a Texas rest home is a movie that demands some attention.

Here's the trailer.




Next is Shadow of the Vampire with Willem Dafoe. I reviewed this movie in more detail here. This flick about the making of the first vampire movie Nosferatu, the first adaptation of Bram Stoker's infamous novel, is savagely and weirdly funny at times it really shouldn't be.

Here's the trailer.




Next up is Gods and Monsters, a movie I've not yet reviewed on this blog, but one I need to do some close work on. For now I'll just say that Ian McKellan as the master director James Whale, the man who gave us Frankenstein and The Bride of Frankenstein is magnificent. Brendan Fraser is wonderful playing a straight friend to the gay Whale and their friendship is touching in many ways and disturbing in others. Lynn Redgrave steals a number of scenes in this one as well. Is this a horror movie? Well in some ways it is indeed.

Here's the trailer.




Finally I have to say that Brotherhood of the Wolf is a movie that defies description in many respects. It is at times a great horror flick, but is also a charming period film and oddly a martial arts crackerjack to boot. This French film features Mark Dacascos (the Chairman on Iron Chef America) as butt-kicking Indian mystic and partner to a scientist action hero type who are sent to a remote region of France to battle a werewolf and superstition and revolutionaries. It's all quite brisk and compelling and I simply adore this flick.

Here's the trailer.


So there are four movies you can sink your teeth into. Each is wonderful film making and each will I suspect leave its mark in your memory.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I just rewatched the original Evil Dead and was thinking I should see Bubba Ho-Tep on account of the fact that Bruce Campbell is awesome. Brotherhood of the Wolf has also caught my eye at the vid store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bubba Ho-Tep gets better each time I see it. And Brother of the Wolf is one of those movies that makes you watch. Great stuff!

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete