Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Defenders Of The Earth!



I found the first box set above of these cartoons in a local Half-Price Bookstore for just a few bucks, a great bargain. I cannot locate the second box, save on the internet. I don't want to pay too much for them, but my completist nature craves the second box.

I've only watched a few episodes, and while the pacing is great and the stories good enough, the character designs are a bit of problem. I like The Phantom well enough, and Flash is okay. But Mandrake looks goofy, they never can seem to draw his hat well at all. Ming looks a little hirsute for my taste, his beard overwhelming his features.

I picked the Marvel Comics version when it came out. I still have them, and while they are rather tepid affairs they do have some decent Alex Saviuk artwork in them.






Here's the intro to the cartoon. That's one snappy tune.
,

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Is that the original release from BCI, or a later release? I'm asking because as you may know, I worked on the special features for the BCI release, and I've been curious if any of them were included on the re-release.

    I have yet to watch my comp copies of those, myself, but I remember the series fondly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't find BCI on the label anywhere. The names listed are "Ink Paint", "Hearst Entertainment", and "SGC".

    I've not watched them, but the special features mentioned are Interviews, Commentary for Episode 1, Animated Storyboards, Original Pilot, Image Gallery, DVD ROM scripts, Art cards (2), Episode guide, and trivia.

    For what I paid, quite the bargain indeed.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete