Friday, September 10, 2010

Attack Of The Fifty Foot Swipes!








I love swipes. They call them "homages" these days to pretend that lifts aren't any less stealing than they really are, but nonetheless I find retakes of classic images fun and if done with some wit, really enchanting despite the fact that clearly the artist is making use (without permission usually) of another artist's fundamental work. Like the work of Andy Warhol, at some point the variations become almost like a visual conversation among talents about the original image.


Even when it doesn't turn out so well.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Cool, it's great how you get this together. And I'm surprised Doom Patrol hasn't done a tribute with Elasti-Girl at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fun to do. I always find several I didn't know about when I started. You're right about the DP, that's a natural.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete