Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Valley Of Fear!


This clever republication of Arthur Conan Doyle's classic Sherlock Holmes story The Valley of Fear by Hardcase Crime is very attractive, and despite owning the story several times, I think I might pop for it the next time I'm in my local Borders. That's an alluring and evocative cover which appeals to a whole other demographic than those who only prowl the foggy gaslit realm of Baker Street.

Attempting to sell a Sherlock Holmes story minus the famous detectives monicker is a brash and witty thing to try. I applaud the effort.


Usually Sherlock's name obliterates all other information on a cover, and sadly makes for some rather bland images. One thing about that Glen Orbik cover, it's not bland.


I recently saw The Valley of Fear adapted to film starring Arthur Wontner as Holmes and Ian Fleming as Watson. The movie is titled The Triumph of Sherlock Holmes and despite the bland title, it was a very interesting adaptation. Based on real events, it's true to the book as I remember it and offers long stretches without the London detective. It kept me interested right up to the end, despite my knowing the twist. That's what a good Sherlock movie has got to do, make the trip fun since the destination is well known to most.

I might be ripe to read it again. And I know just the volume I want to read.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment