Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Second Death Of Paul Kirk!




I recently dug out one of my copies of Manhunter (I've got both the 1984 and the 1999 reprints, and I'd love at some point to get the other from 1979, but I've never seen it) and gave it another read. This story never fails to deliver.

If anything, I was even more in the mood for some great pulpish action coming off a close read of Judomaster and Sarge Steel. For some reason Manhunter struck me as the next most logical thing to read. It must've been the blend of martial arts and espionage.

I was around for this saga when it originally appeared in Detective Comics, but my DC buying at the time was sporadic and I only ended up with three of the chapters, though I did get the climatic final installment.

I found the mystery of the story still exciting and some connections clicked for me on this reading that I missed in previous readings. I was in the perfect mood I think for Simonson's beautifully rendered but tiny images.

When you read the background on this creation and realize just how unplanned it all was, it really makes you appreciate the artistry more. Goodwin and Simonson started out to create a back-up and just happened to think to connect it to Paul Kirk, the old S&K Manhunter. That notion transformed this tale from a neat little espionage-action thriller to a deeply moving multi-generational tale of tragedy and high drama.

I'm glad today that they've not revived this particular Paul Kirk, though the Manhunter has been revived several times. Kirk's death was too significant within the context of this great small saga to be undone. And if perchance they do in a misguided moment decide to bring him back, I'll just ignore it.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment