Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Santa Claus Conquers The Martians!



I've never watched this "classic" all the way through. I've seen snippets here and there, and the general concept of the movie I'm familiar with, but I've never actually seen it. So today, I plan to correct that weakness in my character. Wish me luck!

It's just barely possible I have a ramshackle copy of the comic book around here somewhere too, but I despair finding that right now. Sadness.


[LATER] I just finished it. It's not nearly as dreadful as I've been told. The story is a whimsical bit of froth, but harmless. The notion that the Martians want, nay need to reestablish fun as a part of their daily lives is logical and the decision to go and kidnap Santa to accomplish that is misguided but understandable. Santa in this one is a bit of a goof, but his unflagging good nature wins the day, despite hardbitten Martians who want the status quo of grimness. The outbreaks of laughter seem a bit mad, that I'll grant. Likewise the "humor" seems a bit daft, but overall this is a complete story that holds itself reasonably together. There is the dropped plot thread of the Earth astronauts who pursue the Martians, but otherwise I found few true gaffs. Now is it logical? Not a bit, but it's fun, though just a tad long. Worth my time it was.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment