Friday, December 18, 2009

Big Bang Boom!







Big Bang Comics from the 90's was a fun bit of fluff. They evoked old comics in a loving if sometimes cloying way. I liked the original run from Caliber Comics quite a bit, and enjoyed the later Image run too. But I abandoned the latter relatively early because I had to jettison Indy comics due to finances. So here I am a decade later picking up back issues for small money.

Savage Dragon has become an enduring figure in comics. Erik Larsen was smart to allow his big green character to romp in so many other comics over the years. It's really heightened his profile. His time tumble through the Big Bang universe was pretty enjoyable. The story stretched out over three issues of the run (not sequential) each offering typically swiped-style art. Dragon meets Ulti-Man several times and the Pantheon of Heroes, Dr.Weird, the Justice Roundtable, and others over and over again as he moves from world to world and time to time. It's classic Big Bang with fake-Kirby artwork smashed up against fake-Adams artwork smashed up against fake-Swanderson artwork.

That they got Rich Buckler and Dave Cockrum to do some covers, especially Cockrum who homages himself, gives these issues a great deal of charm.

Rip Off

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, it was a fun series. I actually co-wrote (with my pal Jim Chambers) issue #33, in which I used a few characters I created when I was a kid as guest stars, in a tribute to 1970s JUSTICE LEAGUE adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rats. That one of the issues I'm missing. I love the cover with the looming giant against the tiny RTA characters. I hope I can find that one around here somewhere.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete