Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Femforce Shows Its Age!


I did something yesterday I haven't done in a few years, I bought a new copy of Femforce from AC Comics. The comic was a big favorite of mine for years but the price increases and the format changes have made me cool on it. I loved the continuity of stories that drew on material from well back into the Bronze Age of Comics, and I frankly like many of the well-crafted characters in this book. They are not just a bunch of bimbos, though some of them are bimbos. The personalities of the Femforce gals are distinctive and you can tell which of them is talking just by the dialogue, not something that happens in too many comics.

But yesterday I found Femforce #150 for $9.95 and I picked it up. The Femforce story seemed to dominate the issue and I'm a sucker for Bill Black's artwork and he contributed the cover. I can't say that the flipbook Gargantarama, a comic about various giant-women I guess, but aside from that I found the issue reasonably entertaining. The artwork was pretty decent throughout the Femforce story and that old snap of the team interacting was present in this one.

Will I get another issue? I don't know, as the Femforce content in upcoming issues seems minimized, but the new format at the $9.95 price and offered up three times a year is one I can more affordably support, so perhaps.

Rip Off

1 comment:

  1. I worked for AC for a little bit before I finally broke in with Blackthorne (Eek!), Eclipse & First Comics and finally DC. My buddy Mark Heike still works there and he was one of my best fan-pals.

    It was a kick seeing our stuff in a real comic book and I enjoyed it more than working on HAMSTER VICE, that's for sure. Learned some things and worked on real comics!

    Still have some of those NIGHTVEIL originals and am still very proud of them (was still using brush mostly).

    We did a FEMFORCE portfolio together that I wish I still had more copies of. We were both proud of that and Mark is a great guy! Bill's no slouch either. Erik Larsen was there for a little while, too. Inked him on one of my last gigs there.

    ReplyDelete