Saturday, May 30, 2009

Femme Noir - The Dark City Diaries!


I love this series.

To begin with I'm an absolute nut for Joe Staton. Ever since I stumbled across his work on E-Man for Charlton back in the 70's I've craved more of his stuff. His early Charlton work is a must-have for me when I find them, his covers especially. So when I chanced across a series online that he was illustrating I had to check it out. It was big time fun.

The series is written by Chris Mills, a name I've come across in other Indy comics and a name I've come to associate with stuff I like. The two of them produce a comic story that's got all that old-fashioned storytelling jazz I adore. It's grim but not necessarily gritty. It's dark but not necessarily gloomy. It's a ripe blend of fun and furious action. It's what DC's Spirit series should be, but sadly isn't.


And when I heard they were going to publish some of these on actual paper I was thrilled. The series did not disappoint. The stories were wide-ranging in contents and characters but nonetheless still obviously took place in a recognizable world. Whether fighting jungle girls or robot hoods "Blonde Justice" the knockout star of the series finds a way to give the adventure a clever and distinctive twist.

Whether you round up these stories in the original comics or get the new trade, I highly recommend this series. It's the most fun you can have currently reading comics...period. Like a wise man once opined...'nuff said.

Rip Off

No comments:

Post a Comment